Re: [SLUG] ssh and group access

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 23:33:22 EST

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 08:56:41PM -0500, Larry Sanders wrote:

> I'm figuring it out but still can't doit: one user having access
> to another user's home directory when logging in with ssh, or putty.
>
> Here is the details: on my firewall machine (moshe), I have the sshd
> service active and the iptables filter allows access to login.
> Consider two users, larry and amy, who can indipendently login if the
> file protections are set 700 (rwx for owner).
> Larry needs access to /home/amy so larry can give amy work.
> So change the protection to 770 on /home/amy, then add the
> group amy to user larry and create a symbolic link in /home/larry.
> Now larry can get easily to amy's home directory as a subdirectory
> of his own. BUT amy can no longer login because of ssh, which
> reports an error of bad modes on /home/amy
>
> How can I create access for user larry into amy's /home/amy
> so when amy connects, then her work is in her home directory?

Hmm. Don't understand the ssh error. However, when I have to do this
kind of thing, I set up a separate directory outside of the home
directories, with its group as the common group of the two users. You
could symlink into that directory from each of the home directories of
the users. That way you're not stomping around in someone else's home
directory. ;-}

Paul