[SLUG] ssh and group access

From: Larry Sanders (rhatman@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 20:56:41 EST

I'm figuring it out but still can't doit: one user having access
to another user's home directory when logging in with ssh, or putty.

Here is the details: on my firewall machine (moshe), I have the sshd
service active and the iptables filter allows access to login.
Consider two users, larry and amy, who can indipendently login if the
file protections are set 700 (rwx for owner).
Larry needs access to /home/amy so larry can give amy work.
So change the protection to 770 on /home/amy, then add the
group amy to user larry and create a symbolic link in /home/larry.
Now larry can get easily to amy's home directory as a subdirectory
of his own. BUT amy can no longer login because of ssh, which
reports an error of bad modes on /home/amy

How can I create access for user larry into amy's /home/amy
so when amy connects, then her work is in her home directory?

TIA
Larry :-)