Re: [SLUG] problems with creating backups

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 23:21:55 EST

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 04:25:23PM -0800, William Coulter wrote:

> Ok, you are saying that I have to use joliet. I have no idea what rockridge
> extensions are. It
> is just a check box that says joliet.
>
> Are my other setting correct?

Unknown. I'm not an expert at this. I'm only giving you what's in the
CD-Writing-HOWTO.

Joliet and Rockridge are both extensions to the ISO9660 spec. Rockridge
extensions allow a variety of things, including all the ownership and
permission stuff that Unix finds important. Doubtless, the CD was
created on a Linux system, and Rockridge extensions were used. This
means that while your Windows box may "copy" the CD, it will not
understand the Rockridge extensions, and likely ignore them.
Unfortunately, they may be critical for an install CD. Joliet is for
Windows boxes, and allows things like the funky long file names of
Windows (_not_ implemented the same way as they are in Unix/Linux).
While Joliet and Rockridge implement some similar extensions to ISO9660,
they are not the same and not interchangable. I'm not sure that
"converting" a Rockridge CD to a Joliet CD will not screw up the
resulting CD, as far as Linux is concerned.

Here's something that may be more important. To be bootable, your CD
also has El Torito extensions. I'm not sure that simply copying your CD
will allow it to be bootable, since El Torito does some magic by placing
a small bootable image at the beginning of your CD. You might look
around in Nero and see if there's a button or checkbox that says
something like "bootable" and try checking that.

Paul