Re: [SLUG] OpenSource replacement for Exchange Server that will work with Ou tlook

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 09:06:29 EST

Doug Koobs wrote:
> We are looking for a lower cost replacement for our Exchange 5.5 server. It
> needs to support the Global Address List (or something very similar) and
> scheduling inside of the Outlook client, if possible. I found Bynari
> Insight, and SCO Volution Messaging Server, both of which look promising.
> Does anybody have any experience with these or other Exchange replacements?

There are currently no true open source Exchange replacements, although
there are a number of commercial ones that run on Linux and cost a lot
less (and need a lot less hardware and admin time) than Exchange.

Bynari is no longer a player. Forget them

Right now, if you want a true "drop in" replacement for Exchange, and
you are going to keep using Outlook clients on most desktops, your best
bet is probably Samsung Contact, a jazzed-up version of the old HP
OpenMail.

- Robin