Re: [SLUG] Linux Missionaries

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 23:47:19 EST

Paul and list,

I have been consulting for a few years now with both
end-users and businesses in the St. Augustine area. I
have recently moved to back to the Clearwater area and
would definitely be interested in providing both
harware and OS systems help to any that need it. I
will add my contact info in the postscript.

I would welcome a "stamp of approval" from SLUG as to
the competency of the help I give as it pertains to
the installation and troubleshooting of LINUX. As for
a certification or business ... well it's a tough
sell, and would require a substantial commitment from
a number of people to maintain it. My suggestion it
to keep it simple. If what is wanted is missionaries,
then that can be obtained from volunteers from the
meetings, and managed by a single person (aka Paul or
someone like him). That person would simply maintain
a list, and rank of who best to call in what area.
The advantages in this is that people needing help are
brought into the SLUG group more and encouraged to
play a bigger role in the community. On the other
hand, a "stamp of approval" from SLUG would bring with
it numerous marketing oppurtunities. Starting simply,
the consultants would be "branded", but going further
than that a "branding" could be offered to local
hardware shops friendly to the LINUX community.

The previous meeting in Dunedin was my first visit
with SLUG. I just wanted to say that I had a great
time, and really enjoyed meeting everyone. See you
all next time.

Thanks,
RH Eanes

---contact info---