Re: [SLUG] Linux Missionaries

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 03:30:04 EST

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Russell Hires wrote:

> > SLUG SAGE?
>
> What is SAGE?

System Administrators' Guild.

http://www.sage.org/

http://www.tampabaysage.org/

> > We could have an unofficial competency grade for missionaries,
> > then if there was enough interest we could organize training for LPI or
> > RH certs.

I would remind us of Robert Eanes' comments about keeping it simple.

> Well, at some point we would become a company, incorporated, even. Eek!
>
> > Hmmm, lots of questions... Should there be some fee to join and should
> > some of the missionary rate go back to SLUG SAGE?

I don't think there is any big rush to incorporate SLUG. No official
501(C)(3) designation. No legal requirement for annual 990 fillings with
the IRS. Informal. Simple. Volunteer. Public. Grassroots. No due$.
Affairs conducted in the light of day http://suncoastlug.org/treasury.html
 You are a member if you say you are a member. In the sunshine, but under
the radar.

In a way, a very open source attitude.

(BTW, SAGE is much more formal, and on the radar.)