Re: [SLUG] Linux Missionaries

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 01:45:54 EST

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 03:29:13PM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I get fairly regular requests for people to come out to someone's home
> or office and assist in installing, tweaking or teaching Linux. Are
> there people here who are willing to do that sort of thing? I always
> refer people to the SLUG list, but it would be nice if I had a list of
> people who were willing to do this type of thing. Of course, I'd expect
> you to get paid; otherwise, the requester wants free support, and that's
> what the lists are for. If you're interested in doing this kind of
> thing, it doesn't matter what area of Tampa Bay you live in-- obviously,
> you would go as far or as close as you want to.
>
> Anyway, if you're interested, let me know. Let me know what you'd charge
> and how far afield you're willing to go. This might be worth putting a
> page up, if the response is decent enough.
>
> Paul

Hmm. This has gotten better response (on and off list) than I expected.
I think a web page might be a good idea. Name of consultant, area
covered, email and/or phone number, whether they handle commercial
and/or residential. No rates on the page, because I don't want people to
just go to the cheapest guy and start a bidding war. I could put a link
on it to send me a form if you want to sign up. SLUG, of course,
wouldn't vouch for your skills (Linux or interpersonal), but it would be
a good way to connect the community with our SLUG folks, and in a tight
job market....

BTW, for you _companies_ out there (like NKS) who do this, you're
welcome to sign up as well. I'd probably put them in a separate
category, since you don't really want to do small home installs.

Let me work on it, and I'll put something out when I'm done. Hopefully
this weekend.

Paul