Re: [SLUG] Linux Missionaries

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 18:21:10 EST

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:45:54AM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 03:29:13PM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> > Folks:
> >
> > I get fairly regular requests for people to come out to someone's home
> > or office and assist in installing, tweaking or teaching Linux. Are
> > there people here who are willing to do that sort of thing?

<snip>

> Hmm. This has gotten better response (on and off list) than I expected.
> I think a web page might be a good idea.

<snip>

Alrighty then.

I've put up a page for "Linux Commandos". (I cheated and called them
"Helpers"; I'm not sure the general public would appreciate the term
"commandos", but we can use it internally.) I've got a link to it on all
the pages, and a section at the bottom of the index page that talks
about it. It's at:

http://www.suncoastlug.org/helpers.html

There's a link on that page that takes you to a form to fill out, if you
want to sign up. For those of you who are impatient, it's at:

http://www.suncoastlug.org/su_helpers.php3

Those of you who contacted me on and off list about volunteering, please
go to the sign-up page and sign up. Let me repeat: if you want to do
this, go to the sign-up page and sign up.

Understand that this is a "pilot" project. If it tanks, we'll scrap it.
Likewise, if you think we should change it or the form or the page, let
me know. I've included only the bare minimum of sign-up information, so
that the casual newbie isn't influenced by rates, volumes of expertise,
etc. Everyone on that list should be equal. Let me know if you think
I've left something important out.

(By the way, I made it a point on the Helpers page to tell people that
SLUG doesn't get any of the money they may pay our commandos. Don't make
a liar out of me. If you benefit from this effort and _want_ to donate
to the group, try to do so anonymously, or buy raffle tickets or
something. Or not. We/I don't expect anything out of this effort, other
than you doing a good job, making a little coffee money, and helping the
Linux cause.)

Good luck.

Paul