Re: [SLUG] Linux Classes

From: btt (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 08:48:53 EST

On Saturday, December 7, 2002, at 10:29 PM, Joe Brandt wrote:

> In one of the entries on the "Linux Missionaries" thread, it was
> proposed to have newbie classes. I would like to be the first student
> to sign up. Although I have successfully loaded Mandrake several
> times, I am really quick to break it and have to load it again. I am
> more than an ordinary mouse pusher and would like to learn about stuff
> like setting up a webserver (I was given an old server to play with).
> I have it (the server operational at my home but NFS does not work.
> Samba works with Microsoft 98 and 2000 but I have a hard time when I
> boot Mandrake 9.0 in networking. I have gone to meetings in Brandon
> and Sarasota and find that they are at a level well above my
> comprehension (for now). I do not forsee ever doing this for a living
> as I can not afford formal training and certifications. [above is the
> explination for me volunteering to host the database].
>
> I am willing to travel to Tampa or St. Pete. Heck, one of you
> supergeeks could probably make some nice coin if you could find a
> dozen or so students.
>
> If this does not materilize I will continue plugging along as best I
> can. (no pressure here)

Would anyone be interested in a SLUG weblog?

I really like the idea of The FreeBSD Diary[1], but each member could
have his/her own section[2] on there that chronicles projects[3],
questions, rants, meeting minutes, etc. Each entry could be fully
commented on in a threaded manner.

[1] http://www.freebsddiary.org/
[2] http://slashdot.org/journal.pl
[3] http://slugarchives.nks.net/List/slug.archive.0211/0120.html