Re: [SLUG] virtual hosts

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 11:27:43 EST

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 06:10, Darr Palmer wrote:
> "Forbidden: You don't have permission to access / on this server" it
> tags it as having come from the appropriate test domain. All directories
> and files are owned by apache.

What is the User and Group set to in your httpd.conf? Apache?
If not, I would permission the directories with the appropriate user
and/or group.
For example, in my httpd.conf, I have my user and group set as follows:

    User www-data
    Group www-data

So, my virtual host directories are either owned by www-data or part of
the group www-data or both.

> It goes to the default page for the server and not one of the virtual
> servers.

Here's a partial httpd.conf with an example of virtual hosts (both
directories are permissioned with group www-data):

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.1

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>
    ServerAdmin admin@foo.com
    DocumentRoot /home/foo/www
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/foo/www/cgi-bin/
    ServerName www.foo.com
    ErrorLog /var/log/apache/error-foo.com.log
    CustomLog /var/log/apache/access-foo.com.log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>
    ServerAdmin admin@bar.com
    DocumentRoot /home/bar/www
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/bar/www/cgi-bin/
    ServerName www.bar.com
    ErrorLog /var/log/apache/error-bar.com.log
    CustomLog /var/log/apache/access-bar.com.log common
</VirtualHost>

> I have now been tinkering with this for about 3 months, I have probably
> set up a couple dozen M$ IIS servers with multiple domains in the
> meantime.

Ack! Gag! Barf!

> Well, I have to clean the blood out of my eyes, or is the monitor
> bleeding?

Red Rum, Red Rum, Red Rum.

Matt