Re: [SLUG] backup and restore with dd?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 12:37:12 EST

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 10:18:05PM -0500, Greg Schmidt wrote:

> I was thinking that I should be able to backup and restore an entire
> partion with dd, but I thought I should run this idea by the list for a
> sanity check before I actually try it. Something like:
>
> dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=~/partition.img

Here's the problem with dd: it will happily copy over bad sectors. And
then, of course, your backup's useless. Rsync is a better alternative,
and can be used to "update" a backup already in place. But rsync is a
file-by-file, not an image backup. Avoid tar, as bad spots (for whatever
reason) in the middle of a tar archive will invalidate the rest of the
archive.

Paul