[SLUG] backup and restore with dd?

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 22:18:05 EST

I was thinking that I should be able to backup and restore an entire
partion with dd, but I thought I should run this idea by the list for a
sanity check before I actually try it. Something like:

dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=~/partition.img

Then maybe:

mke2fs -jccv /dev/hdb1

And something like:

dd if=~/partition.img of=/dev/hdb1

to put it back.

Can it really be that simple? Do I need to specify block size? Would it
grab and restore a boot sector?

Both hdb1 and the partition holding ~ on hda have ext3 file systems. Does
that matter?

Since I'm accessing it as a device, and not a file system, should/could
hdb1 be unmounted?

Is this too many questions for one email?

Thanks,

Greg