Re: [SLUG] Transgaming Winex

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 10:56:43 EST

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 09:45, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> Ronald, I've never heard of such a product (the $150 one). I am very
> interested if you can show us a link or two. I'm going to dig into
> http://www.google.com/linux to see what I can find. I'll post if I
> do. From what I understand previously about windows versus X, I hear
> that's true, but I'm not convinced now that I've heard Ian's plee.
> Hmmmm.

Transgaming's WineX product will run many Microsoft based DirectX games.
Unfortunately, it also incurs a 30-50% speed penalty. If you're really
interested in Windows gaming, I still recommend a dual-boot workstation for
the time being.

> Here's something cool I've found DirectFB. Looks pretty (and promising?).
> http://www.livingroomlinux.com/

Wow. Yeah, that project has come along. Unfortunately (?), it's Yet Another
API.. If there were One True Gaming API for Linux, many things would be
better. At the moment, SDL probably comes the closest to a "standard" gaming
development API.

> Here's a gamemaker that's advocating support for Linux (Neverwinter
> Nights). This seems like a first to me. I've never seen a full
> production underway for a Linux game yet; except ID with Doom &
> Quake. Anybody else?
> http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/linuxclient.html

Unreal Tournament 2003 was just released with Linux support. New games come
out on a regular basis. http://linuxgames.com is a good place to check for
them (I hate their new theme though).

There are new games coming out with Linux support due largely in part to the
developers using Linux as their coding/development environment. When
developing a game engine, it helps if your dev box doesn't need to be
rebooted every 15 minutes.

The viability of Linux as a gaming platform isn't a technological hurdle. It's
a marketspace problem. How many Linux gamers are there vs how many Microsoft
PC owners that buy games and never really play them? The numbers are
staggering - Linux is not the reason for the multi-billion dollar gaming
market, it's that simple.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)