Re: [SLUG] Transgaming Winex

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 00:03:23 EST

I was having a discussion once with Ronan about game developers
including a cut-up distribution strictly for gaming so that the
consumer would only need an x86 or whatever hardware platform to play
the game. What if game developers got together and picked their
favorite APIs, etc and put them on a bootable CD and made their own
distribution with all of the performance tweaks for multimedia that
most of the mainstream Linux distribution publishers miss? I believe
that would satisfy both the developer and consumer audience. A full
running operating game environment and game in a box! They could
bundle some proprietary software in the box as well as the game
itself, so the only way to get the update on, let's say, The
LingamerOS would be to buy the latest games that included
it...something like that. The CD would deposit some swap files on
the HD (FAT, ext2, reiserfs, NTFS, HFS, or whatever) and use the
adequate RAM of these days (256MB and up) to run the gameOS w/o any
performance hit as to not being natively installed on the hard disk.
Then, consumers would have the option of selecting it as a dual boot.

Anybody's thoughts?

/mario