Re: [SLUG] Transgaming Winex

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 08:16:27 EST

hhhhmmmmm. We could call it the LBOX :). Great idea.
 If history serves as any kind of predictor the Linux
world would start to be driven by game technology.
That would be a terrific way to bring more hardware
vendors into the fold, but we would need a very
standard way for the hardware vendors to provide
proprietary modules for their devices. I think we are
almost there now with dynamically loadable kernel
modules. The hangup seems to be a choice of 2d/3d
accellerated API and a good graphics language... I
think OpenGL would be the best (Yes, I know about
MESA, but without a buy-in from SGI an industry
standard would not be complete). As you describe it
though, it seems like a really novel way to light a
fire in the Linux community.

Do you have any links, suggestion for someone to be
able to research how to set something like this up?