Re: [SLUG] need a commercial firewall recommendation

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 16:27:02 EST

You might conside IPCop (www.ipcop.org)

You can download a full system based on ipchains based on 2.2.21
kernel on a modified Debian distro. Everything is included. It
supports also NAT/MASQ, snort, mrtg so you can see your traffic
throughput on both interfaces, firewall logging, the time is synced by
ntp, VPNs/ipsec is in there, it includes a web interface accessible
from the private side. You can access by ssh/scp. You just need
a simple machine with two NICs (quite a few common types are
supported). There is abuiltin install/setup script. Plan on using a
dedicated machine. The s/w is free, all you need is a machine,
200-300 MHz is fine. You can get it running pretty rapidly. It may
suffice until you can get your supported/recommended setup in place.

Got my final in Wayne Pollock's Unix Admin II class at HCC tonight
so can't make the meeting. Next month.

Bob