Re: [SLUG] slug webblog

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 09:46:27 EST

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 21:48, Russell Hires wrote:
> > I'm all for keeping a mailing list in parallel with a blog... legacy
> > interfaces are a Good Thing (TM). I'm not fond of Web Forums, which are
> > different than blogs. Perhaps you are confusing the two? Blogs aren't
> > interactive, Forums are. Blogs are just rants by bloggers to blog their
> > blogging life's story on their blog for other blog addicts to blog about.
>
> Ahhh...another place to talk about Zope goodness, and to the right
> people...
>
> :-)
>
> There's a blog product available for Zope...the fun part, though, is that
> zope (and I'm sure other web-app servers) can send an email out for each
> entry. It can even receive email, too. So, Zope could indeed have a
> parallel mailing list/web forum....
>
> Zopelog....better than Blog?

I'm no fan of Zope. Rather than to dig into the details, I'll leave you with
my impressions after having attempted to develop on it for a number of months
a couple of years ago: DTML is *disgusting* illogical non-intuitive and
poorly documented when you try using it for much of anything, the zodb pickle
corrupts itself and requires truncating, if you use a native filesystem store
there is no rollback, the web interface is childish at best and painful at
worst, ACLs are a pain, and Zope based applications are incredibly Zope
version dependant - running a single Zope server with multiple Zope
applications becomes a patching nightmare.

Aside from this, it makes a good *basic* python web environment. I'll argue
that its simplicity is insidious - most of the development complexity is
hidden just below the surface. However, if you find a single sufficient
application that runs on Zope, you may overlook its shortcomings.

That's just my $0.02. YMMV.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)