Re: [SLUG] slug webblog

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 10:06:17 EST

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 21:43, Russell Hires wrote:
> Well, I thought about expressing interest, but....I like the idea of a
> "projects list" rather than the blog. Maybe we could even get a blog that
> can send out email with the entry to a listserve (like Derek talked about).
> I have projects that I'm interested in, that I participate in, and that I
> have going on, that would be a good place to chronicle that type of stuff.

The SunCoast Linux Chronicle? I like the ring of that :)

I'm also not against a weblog that is little more than a threaded mail reader.
If there's an email backend, it's just the same as a mailing list to me. I
think Derek has hit on something there.

Imagine if Slashdot were a mailing list though. FIRST POST messages at the
start of any new posting, and a threaded discussion chain beyond that. The
traffic would be staggering. After sending some of the trolls to your
killfile, however, it wouldn't be so bad. There are a few issues though:

        - On a high-volume large subscriber-base site, the mail volume would be
          enormous.
        - Would you really want anonymous posts to a mailing list?
        - How would moderation work?
        - Most people would consider 20 "news" emails from the same source a day a
          bit excessive, and that's without the reply threads from the Forum.

A while back, I ran a little once-a-week email called "Ian's Cool Stuff". It
was a simple text-only email that summarized newsworthy items from last week
in the opensource/linux/telco world in a simple format:

        *TOPIC*

        Short Description/Title
                        http://link.to.site.com/

The problem was that it took quite a bit of time on the weekend to filter
through the sources and relay only the things that I thought were important
to follow up on.

Today, I depend on Slashdot.org, two geek chat rooms, daypop.com and a few
other memes to find recent blog content, freshmeat/sourceforge, and emails
from friends. Trying to filter *that* down to "things to keep an eye on"
would end up with a few hundred important links a week. The sheer rate of
newsworthy events has increased over the years catching up with the pace of
Internet time.

My other major concern for contributing to a blog is that the information
contained within remain *open* and available for mirroring elsewhere. There's
nothing worse than loosing years of content you've contributed to a site that
has failed to remain running.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)