Re: [SLUG] Transgaming Winex

From: James Grant (jbgrant01@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 10:19:27 EST

>I've never heard of either, but then again, I don't go looking for this
>stuff. Sounds cool.

Knoppix is pretty cool - www.knopper.net/knoppix - free iso images there or
on mirrors. Essentially a testing/unstable Debian distro that runs entirely
from the CD. There is a script to put it on a hard drive, but I prefer
Libranet for setting up a Debian box.

>About going on the Internet, does it allow you to get there to acquire
>things to get the machine running? For example, if your sound card doesn't
>detect, but it tries like the dickens to detect it and possibly download
>modules from the net, maybe then it'll prompt you for manual intervention
>with a log of what it attempted and some suggestions?

snip

I don't see it going out to the internet to resolve problems. One reason I
play around in Linux is messing with music programs. I tend to run sound
card for digital audio that are not built by big companies who can support a
lot of OS. Turtle Beach and Frontier Designs are examples. It may not be as
big a deal with most gamer soundcards. As one who messes with these things I
can configure my old MultiSound fairly easily now.

Of course, the other reason I like to play with Linux is that I really like
to break things. Lots of opportunity.

My post had more to do with the concept of putting Linux on a CD with the
game so the whole thing would run and you may not know it was actually
running Linux. Unfortunately there is a significant start up time plus a
performance hit, especially if you are not running with a swap file on the
hard drive.

Another "Linux on CD" is the Live-Eval version of Suse 8.1. It can create a
swap file on a windoze partition and save info to hard drive the same way.

Both Knoppix and Suse Live-eval are good ways to show someone what Linux can
look like on their machine without too much fuss.