Re: [SLUG] scans

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 19:50:55 EST

I just ran a 2-hour-plus pkt capture on my public interface, catching
everything except ARP (ARP is 80 to 90% of all ethernet traffic
on my rr connection). There was a single attempt at port 137
during this time, from 67.89.57.118. Normally I see 15 to 20
different unID IPs in a day, well over half are trying 137. However it
is just because these fellows think RR will be all Windows
machines on THIS end, and are easy pickings. It is not a RR-centric
issue; one never (or, should never) see any IP traffic to/from anyone
else on his local HFC. I never do, just see unACK ARPs from the local
gateways to various machines. BTW There are 6 subnets of /24 on my
branch. Not too bad; last year there 13.

Bottom line: I do not see any evidence of the 137 udp storm
referred to by the original poster. What type address are you on, Jeff?

Bob