Re: [SLUG] scans

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 21:35:58 EST

Robert Foxworth wrote:
> I just ran a 2-hour-plus pkt capture on my public interface, catching
> everything except ARP (ARP is 80 to 90% of all ethernet traffic
> on my rr connection). There was a single attempt at port 137
> during this time, from 67.89.57.118. Normally I see 15 to 20
> different unID IPs in a day, well over half are trying 137. However it
> is just because these fellows think RR will be all Windows
> machines on THIS end, and are easy pickings. It is not a RR-centric
> issue; one never (or, should never) see any IP traffic to/from anyone
> else on his local HFC. I never do, just see unACK ARPs from the local
> gateways to various machines. BTW There are 6 subnets of /24 on my
> branch. Not too bad; last year there 13.
>
> Bottom line: I do not see any evidence of the 137 udp storm
> referred to by the original poster. What type address are you on, Jeff?
>
> Bob

        Standard dynamic IP with RR. Tthe cable modem goes to a DHCP server
with NAT to the internal LAN. I guess I'll have to set the iptables to
drop 137 queries before the log requires a 40G partition for itself. :)

Here is a partial sample of the incoming log in the past hour, and the
activity is tapering off now. There are more hits here in an hour than I
usually see for a couple of days use:

216.116.119.123 137
65.123.124.46 137
202.80.34.150 137