Re: [SLUG] AMANDA tape backup and appending

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 18:27:20 EST

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 13:36, Matt Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 11:14, dkoobs@dkoobs.com wrote:
<snip>
> > I want to make sure that I understand this correctly... Does this mean
> > that Amanda will not append at? I will have to change the tape every night
> > to get a backup? If that is trhe case, it won't be the best solution for
> > me... What other backup options are good? Anyone using Taper? Thanks,
>
> I use rsync with ssh to copy system critical data from multiple hosts to
> a centralized backup server daily, where I do nightly dumps to tape. Not
> only do I have the nightly tapes, but I also have the same data residing
> on the backup server's filesystem where I can easily restore data to a
> host with rsync.

I actually do the same thing with rsync/ssh and dump backups to my file
server. Then, with my file server, as I mentioned before, I use cpio
and cron to backup to my tape drive on the file server. I find this to
be an excellent system. Possibly, Amanda, Taper, BRU et al. can dump to
the tape faster,(I have no idea, as I have never used them before) but
my backups happen at 11:30 p.m. so I am not worried about people in the
office needing the file server. I receive an email from cron detailing
what was backed up due to the syntax of piping a find into cpio. I
imagine the only disadvantage to my cpio system is restoring could take
some time, but, then again, tapes are not known for their screaming
velocity. I am running a single Seagate Scorpion 12/24GB with an
Adaptec 29160 and I only back up 13Gb nightly. Your mileage may vary.

The Logan

--
18:12:26 up 147 days, 10:45, 2 users, load average: 0.57, 0.48, 0.72
You will be traveling and coming into a fortune.