Re: [SLUG] AMANDA tape backup and appending

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 13:36:42 EST

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 11:14, dkoobs@dkoobs.com wrote:
> At http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda-2.html, I read that "AMANDA
> currently starts a new tape for each run and does not provide a mechanism
> to append a new run to the same tape as a previous run, which might be an
> issue for small configurations."

I would read that exactly as you have stated below -- AMANDA considers
every backup to be a new session and will not append to a previous
session; ergo change tapes between backups. I used AMANDA briefly about
a year ago and found it to be an overkill for what I needed.

> I want to make sure that I understand this correctly... Does this mean
> that Amanda will not append at? I will have to change the tape every night
> to get a backup? If that is trhe case, it won't be the best solution for
> me... What other backup options are good? Anyone using Taper? Thanks,

I use rsync with ssh to copy system critical data from multiple hosts to
a centralized backup server daily, where I do nightly dumps to tape. Not
only do I have the nightly tapes, but I also have the same data residing
on the backup server's filesystem where I can easily restore data to a
host with rsync.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly.