Re: [SLUG] slow linux printing

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 14:39:55 EST

On 17 Dec 2002 21:44:58 -0500
Russ Wright <rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I know this was discussed some time ago but I cannot find it. My linux
> box prints very slow. I'm running RH 8.0 and using LPR as it comes
> shipped. On average a page of plain text takes more than a minute to
> print. Same printer accessed by a pc running Windows 98 will do about 8
> pages a minute.
>
> Is there anything I can adjust or tweak to speed up this process?
>
> Regards
> Russ

The first thing I would check is the driver being used for the printer. I have an old HP LaserJet Series II, for which there are several drivers. The "default" one that apsfilter suggests prints quickly, but takes a long time between prints. The STP driver takes a long time to print at all. There was another that I can't remember that would work as desired but hang occasionally for no reason I could ascertain. On the other hand, I had another printer, a cheapo Canon BJC-2114, that printed at speed with every driver.

Levi