Re: [SLUG] Broke my Log-In

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 09:34:28 EST

On Thursday 19 December 2002 05:55, R. Stia wrote:
> Hello Sluggers
>
> Well....I did it. Broke my Login somehow.
>
> Running Suse 8.0, KDE 3.04. I decided to clean out a bunch of
> /tmp files because my / partition is filled up.

When you boot, /tmp should be completely empty. Did you remove the directory
and re-create it? if so, you need to set the permissions correctly:

        $ chmod 1777 /tmp

> When I boot up I get the normal KDE login screen. I choose the
> user and the password and hit enter. The process starts but then
> I am returned to the login screen. Same thing happens again for
> any user that I try or any window manager that I try. I can login
> as root.

You /tmp probably is no longer writable by your user login. This also happens
if your filesystem is full.

> After logging in as root I looked at all of the options in Yast.
> users, groups,passwords, etc. but everything appears to be OK.
> Still, I cannotlogin as a user.

Check the permissions on /tmp. It must be 777 with the sticky bit set.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)