Re: [SLUG] Broke my Log-In

From: R. Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 01:07:32 EST

Ian C. Blenke wrote:

> On Thursday 19 December 2002 05:55, R. Stia wrote:
>
>>Hello Sluggers
>>
>>Well....I did it. Broke my Login somehow.
>>
>>Running Suse 8.0, KDE 3.04. I decided to clean out a bunch of
>>/tmp files because my / partition is filled up.
>>

> When you boot, /tmp should be completely empty. Did you remove the directory
> and re-create it? if so, you need to set the permissions correctly:
>
> $ chmod 1777 /tmp

Ian,

No it is, never is empty. Diddn't delete /tmp Just cleaned out about 95%
of all af the really old stuff.

>>When I boot up I get the normal KDE login screen. I choose the
>>user and the password and hit enter. The process starts but then
>>I am returned to the login screen. Same thing happens again for
>>any user that I try or any window manager that I try. I can login
>>as root.
>>

> You /tmp probably is no longer writable by your user login. This also happens
> if your filesystem is full.

Bingo!! That is why I was cleaning out /tmp my / file system shows at
being 100% full. Now, that is the really weird part. Just a couple of
weeks ago it was only about 40% full.

I cured the problem {temporarily) by moving about 250 megs to another
partition. Now it shows as 99.2% full, but at least I can now log in as
a user.

Now, why would my partition jump from 40% to 100% full? What I can think
of is this. Am using apt-get to upgrade my system constantly. Working
very well up to this point. Those files are temporarily put in
var/cache/apt/archives until they are executed and then removed.(these
are the files I moved to give me space)

What I did was to try and upgrade my lilo and kernel in preparation for
an upgrade to SuSE 8.1. Got a message that it failed due to
insufficient space in Var/cache/apt/archives. That is when I found out
I could no longer boot as a user the next time I tried to log in.

Have been following the other thread about "100% on a data drive...."
and it seems that might have something to do with it????

Anyway, I am now faced with a 99.2% full partition that should be only
about 40%. What has happened?

Bob S.