Re: [SLUG] linux angst in the workplace

From: J Lands (usedtire@linuxmail.org)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 00:16:47 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: Matthew Walker <mwalker_web@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:25:22 -0800 (PST)
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: [SLUG] linux angst in the workplace

> I am wondering if any fellow linux users/admins out
> there are experiencing an intolerance for linux in
> their workplaces - as a workstation or infrastructure
> component?
>
> I sure as hell am.
>
> If so, what are you doing to combat such things? Are
> you slowly working your way in, (my wife tells me that
> I can catch more flies with honey), or did you
> overcome said ignorance by isntalling a dual-boot and
> risking termination? Assuming that the earlier
> scenario is common, what are some arguments that you
> make to people that simply don't grasp computing
> enough to truly understand that a linux workstation is
> a more productive tool than an MS environment?
>
> Currently, I am using cygwin for the sake of sanity.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Matt

Hello all, I have been watching for a week or so, but this is a subject I have found to be extremely characteristic of my current work site.

The biggest problem is the overall customer. The majority of users know only Windows. So we must support Windows. In that sense the majority of people try to become "certified" by M$. They know little to nothing about Linux. We do have a sizeable Unix division however.

There has been a considerable push from certain people to put Linux in our network. However after pushing by myself and a few others for the past year we have a grand total of 4 Linux boxes on any of the networks we support. So out of approx. 3000 PCs and 500 Unix boxes we have 4 Linux workstations. One of which is mine, which causes numerous problems because the Senior systems Admin does not know how to search my box, so he doesn't like it.

Just my 2 Cents.
Jesse

http://www.linuxmail.org/