Re: [SLUG] A Challenge....

From: Larry Sanders (rhatman@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 08:33:59 EST

Chuck
Remember the magic words: "all you gotta do" !
Here are a few engineering questions.
What are the dimensions (HxLxW) of the pinfish and pigfish?
This is the area that will interrupt the IR beam.
Does the IR detector signal on/off or an analog signal?
If it is an analog signal then how will you do a D/A converter?
This is a key question if the spacing between the detectors is
significantly less than the size of the fish.
Is the sluice also pouring water or just allowing the fish to swim?
If you are counting from a verticle view, then the sluice should be
shallow and the detectors close togeather. Or if the detectors are
horizontal then the sluice can be narrow and possibly deeper.
It will be less complicated if the water flow is zero and the fish are
swimming between the two tanks. Then you can get them to
line up like a cattle gate.
In one post you mentioned that you would like to be accurate
within 5 fish. Five fish out of how many? What percentage?
The problem of counting has been asked before in the field
of industrial engineering. Significant time invested in a search
for publishd papers and solutions will definately be worth it.

The key to this is the D/A converter and the corresponding
signal processing. The sample rate should be 100 times the
rate of the fish in order to recognize a pattern the typical
pattern of expanding/decreasing shaddow to seperate two
fish head to tail. If a fish swims by at 1 per second then a
sample rate of 100/sec or 1 in 0.01 seconds is not to fast
to process with today's cpu's. The software will ask at each
sample: is this shadow getting bigger or smaller?
All you gotta do is count the fish.

Larry Sanders, P.E.
Civil Engineer
:-)