RE: [SLUG] Mobile mp3 player?

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 17:40:32 EST

300 baud packets in the spectrum region between
about 28Mhz and 54Mhz, I think that the wiring
in most vehicles turns out to be nice 1/4 wave
lengths in that region, so you get good pick up
when a packet radio system in a vehicle happens
to send a few packets, when it is within a few
car lengths of the meganoise vehicle. The front
end of the amp effectively becomes a mixer and
extracts a crude reproduction of the packet wave
form and sends it to the amp which does what it
was designed to do, amplify it and ship it off
to the speakers, which get it as high as the amp
can deliver it, and the result is a loud 150Hz
roar just prior to the speakers giving out.

The fix is of course good shielding and grounding
of the audio wiring, but I suspect that most of
these car audio shops do not know much about shields
or grounds, so getting rid of maganoise rap music
pest (the most common form of meganoise heard
around here) is not so hard to do. If you have
properly grounded and shielded all the cabling,
nothing should happen.

I can even hear it with higher speed mobile data
equipment that is in the VHF and UHF region, and
running 1200 baud and up, and at those frequencies
most gear is only running from 15-30 watts, that
tells me the installation is substandard.

There is one somewhere in my area that I can hear
going down the road at times from 4-5 blocks away.
I am just waiting for a chance to try it on him.

To me that is no different than someone going down
the street leaning on their horn, besides I wonder
what kind of damage it is doing to the ears, brain
and whatever else is being subjected to that level
of audio inside a closed chamber.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com