[SLUG] Printing problems on Suse 8.1

From: Seth Hollen (seth@hollen.org)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 17:39:05 EST

Maybe the Suse guru's here can help with this one.

I went over to a new SLUG member's home today to hopefully get his
printers working in Linux.
1) Epson 680 (Correct me if I'm wrong here Doug) connected via USB
cable.
2) HP DeskJet 1000C connected via parallel port.

Using the YAST2 configuration tool I setup both printers. SUSE said that
the Hp wasn't fully supported and may need to be manually adjusted. The
Epson, printed 1 test page perfectly, but never printed another page
after that. Even using the yast tool again. It would try to print, and
the print head would move back and forth but all the pages were blank
when they came out.

The HP would accept print jobs but nothing ever printed.

I had my laptop running Redhat 8.0 with me, so I hooked up both
printers, the worked perfectly in redhat using LPD.
Suse was using CUPS.

Can anyone help Doug out? He really wants to fully switch to Linux but
can't till he get Staroffice6 printing.
While there I got Doug signed up on the SLUG list so he should be seeing
this :)

Take care,

Seth
seth@opentechinc.net