Re: [SLUG] Redhat ext3 harddrive problem - and fix - but wonder why

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 16:04:25 EST

On Thursday 02 January 2003 14:57, Mike Manchester wrote:
> Well that's what I get for trusting spell check :)
> Anyway.
> It's starting to act up again. I'm really suspecting it's a bad hard
> drive as I can hear noise like when a floppy disk is having trouble
> reading a track. And thinks seem to get slower as time goes by. Unless
> you know of something else I'm thinking I'm going to replace the drive.
> Do you think a reinstall with a format would fix the problem? Being
> unemployed I'm a little strapped for cash and replacing a hard drive is
> not in the budget :(
> Mike M.

Do you see any IDE retry messages in your kernel log? Try running "dmesg",
and/or look in /var/log/kern.log

You might also try "smartctl -a /dev/hda", from the UCSC smartsuite package.
It will tell you various interesting things about your drive, including the
number of errors since it was last powered on.

- Ian