Re: [SLUG] Redhat ext3 harddrive problem - and fix - but wonder why

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 17:32:23 EST

On Thursday 02 January 2003 16:31, Smitty wrote:
> On Thursday 02 January 2003 16:04, you wrote:
> > Do you see any IDE retry messages in your kernel log? Try running
> > "dmesg", and/or look in /var/log/kern.log
> >
> > You might also try "smartctl -a /dev/hda", from the UCSC smartsuite
> > package. It will tell you various interesting things about your drive,
> > including the number of errors since it was last powered on.
> >
> > - Ian
>
> Where can we fetch the UCSC smartsuite package?
> Smitty

First, try a simple Google for "UCSC SmartSuite". Oodles of hits.

The homepage:
        http://csl.cse.ucsc.edu/smart.shtml

In debian, it's "apt-get install smartsuite".

For RPM based distros, try rpmfind.net, or install apt and do "apt-cache
search smartsuite" to find the appropriate package name to install.

Whenever I look for a package, I generally follow these steps:

        1. apt-cache search "package"
        2. Search Google Web.
        3. Search Google Groups.
        4. Search Freshmeat.