Re: [SLUG] Redhat ext3 harddrive problem - and fix - but wonder why

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 15:31:50 EST

On Friday 03 January 2003 15:21, Mike Manchester wrote:
> Thanks Ian
> I download and installed the UCSC smartsuite. Device: IBM-DJAA-31700
> Supports ATA Version -1
> Smart Values Read failed: Input/output error
> Smartctl: Smart Values Read Failed
>
> So I'm guessing 1. smartctl won't work for that drive or 2. The drive is
> truly bad.
> Here's what I get when I run it on my other drive.

Ancient drives don't support SMART at all. Newer drives have more SMART
information than older ones. If your drive is only a couple of years old, you
may have a bad drive indeed.

> Here's what I get when I run smartctl -a /dev/hda
> Device: Maxtor 53073H4 Supports ATA Version 6
> Drive supports S.M.A.R.T. and is disabled
> Use option -e to enable

You need to enable SMART data collection on that drive:

        # smartctl -e /dev/hda

Then check again with "-a".

> But now I'm not sure it's a drive problem or something else. I ran
> fsck.ext3 on it last night and after a number of hours (I went to bed
> before it finished). It was working a little better today. But the
> run fine. But what is worrying me is. I thought the drive causing the
> problem was hda, however hda only contains the boot and swap partition
> and the /, home, data partitions are on hdb. So I'm thinking the problem
> may not be hda but hdb as it's loading of programs for / that takes so
> long. I couldn't find any kern messages in /var/log and dmesg didn't
> show any read or write errors. My swap is on hda so maybe that's what's
> causing the slow program load and maybe that explains why it seems to
> get worse as time passes.

And you do not see errors in your kernel log? That's suprising. I would expect
to see some form of IDE retry.

> I'm at a lost here. I'm about ready to pull a windows trick and
> reinstall :)

First, I recommend that you make a backup of any critical data.

If there's nothing critical on this box, and you're at your wits end,
re-installing is an option.

I make it a point to NEVER re-install a box. If it has been well admin'ed,
there's simply no reason to do so. Moreover, it's a general waste of time.
Microsoft boxen need reloading simply because manual maintenance is virtually
impossible on their platforms anymore.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)