Re: [SLUG] mkbootdisk failing

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 23:18:51 EST

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 04:17:14PM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 09:40:37AM -0500, Mikes work account wrote:
>
> > I added the initrd.img to the vmlinuz and found out that the sizes
> > 'just' exceed my floppy size. Is there a way to flatten out those files
> > so I can create a boot disk?
> >
> > Can I somehow create a BzImage file that will be smaller than my present
> > files? Can I do that without endangering my filesystems?
> >

> Bzip2 compresses better than gzip, which is why there is a target for it
> in the kernel's makefile. Something like make bzImage.

Bzip2 is the *default* compressor when building kernels now. Once upon a
time, you could "make zImage" and it would use gzip to create the
vmlinuz file. In 2.4.x kernels, there is no "zImage" target, you're
really forced to use "bzImage" now (which uses bzip2).

An uncompressed kernel will appear as "vmlinux". That's still a valid
make target, but you will typically will never see this in use by
anything but alternate archs (like Sparc Linux).

Also, you cannot simply gzip/bzip a vmlinux image and have it be a
"vmlinuz" image. There's a decompressor/loader that is prepended to the
beginning of the image that knows how to decompress the kernel at
runtime.

- Ian