Re: [SLUG] Announcement: Formation of a new LUG

From: Smitty (a.smitty@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 15:31:04 EST

On Saturday 04 January 2003 22:31, you wrote:
> If I may ask, what's the point of forming a new LUG in this area? Doesn't
> it make more sense to consolidate all of ourselves into a single monolithic
> group, rather than having multiple splinter factions? If the membership
> gets spread too thin, both LUGs may end up failing.
>
> Levi

Neither Dave or I are advocating anyone leave Slug. We are both still on the
email list. We have founded a lug with different basic policy to broaden
participation by those who want more freedom.
Your "spread too thin" theory has little merit in my experience. This
argument was raised by the NRA when Gunowners of America started.
The net effect was ultimately better pro-second amendment lobbying and many
folks had dual memberships and became more active. Lugs will only fail when
beneficial communication and initiative gets stifled.
Smitty