Re: [SLUG] Announcement: Formation of a new LUG

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 15:34:00 EST

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 03:22:04PM -0500, Smitty wrote:

> > > I think you are speculating, Ian. I am not aware of anyone espousing
> > > conspiracy theories about SLUG list policies. We are educated adults and
> > > I think we can handle all the negative things you mentioned, if and when
> > > they occur.
> >
> > Speculating? Perhaps. Having subscribed to hundreds of mailing lists for
> > over a decade, experience has found this to be the case. A well policed
> > list will generally avoid these problems, I will agree.
>
> You speculating indeed, Ian. Neither Dave nor I have any such belief.
> Just the fact that you accuse us of such a thing could mean you are inclined
> to believe such a it. "hundreds of mailing lists" ? Policing can and often
> is overdone.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. Perhaps you've misunderstood what
I've said.

> > > Now, those statements are downright untrue. I found the registration
> > > process to be a breeze - easier than Majordomo! There are No trailer
> > > advertisements on every email as you asserted and No spam whatsoever. I
> > > have been subscribed to another yahoogroups list for two years and Never
> > > got any spam from that list at all. Gosh, Ian, if I didn't know you
> > > better, I would think you are trying to F.U.D. a bit about FLALUG.
> >
> > Untrue? The last time I subscribed to a YahooGroups list, every message
> > did include a small advertisement at the bottom of every email. Again,
> > personal experience. If Yahoo has changed their policy since then, I'm
> > glad to hear it.
>
> Sorry to hear that a few lines of text at the bottom of an email message
> annoys you. It has never bothered me.

It does irritate me. This is a personal qualm. More irritating is the
need to register to read mail archives.

> > As far as Spam is concerned: your list is "Restricted Membership. This
> > means you must approve every new member, which will cut down on the
> > potential Spammers. Open lists tend to have these problems.
>
> Yes, that is essentially the idea behind it.

Great.

> > F.U.D? No. Personal experience. Perhaps I should reserve judgement until
> > I'm approved to be part of the list.
>
> You originally stated, "I wish FLALUG the best." Now you want to sit in
> judgement of us? Now I am sceptical of what you really mean.

Again, I believe you've totally misundersood/misinterpreted what I've said.
I was referring to the irritation that is YahooGroups. Everyone is their
own judge of content. I sit in judgement of SLUG for myself as well.

> > > And, Ian, you can advertise the services of your ISP on the list without
> > > threats by a list admin.
> >
> > As I work for the company that hosts the current SLUG list, it is
> > professional courtesy and a wish to honestly help the community that
> > stop us from doing so.
>
> And that is your choice. We still offer you the opportunity.

It is indeed my choice.

As always, Smitty, it's been great talking with you.

 - Ian