Re: [SLUG] A new idea?

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 01:40:08 EST

On 05 Jan 2003 19:07:52 -0500, Michael C Rock wrote:

-> How many people even know about Linux as an alternative to
MS? I would
-> guess less than 2% of the population in general. How many
people know
-> about MS and their desktop? Nearly everyone alive.
->
-> Now, the issue here is to educate the public about Linux and
we can all
-> be very busy. How do we do that? Advertise, that's how. We
may even
-> be able to get grant money, I don't know, but I am sure that
if we try
-> we will succeed. And when we are busy we will be less
devisive.

Michael, this seems like very good thinking to me. Would it be
acceptable on this list to toss out a couple of ideas, for
whatever they're worth?

1. Can the libraries be used for public informational meetings?
 For example, the St. Pete SLUG meetings start at 7pm--what if
the library were to promote a public info session(s), 1 hour
earlier. One of the gurus who would be at the meeting later
anyways, could do show 'n tell.

2. Is it possible that Walmart might want to help in some way,
in spreading the word, or supporting public information efforts
by SLUG? They've made a major bet on Linux, so if you were
looking for some help with advertising or such,...who knows?
Seems like somebody that's trying to sell Linux boxes would want
to have access to a list of Linux helpers.

That's what came to my mind, anyway. I'm sure other folks will
be more creative.

John