[SLUG] A new idea?

From: Michael C Rock (mikerock01@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 19:07:52 EST

I hate to change the thread but it is time to move on in my opinion.
There are many LUG's in the country and I have been a member of more
than on at at time depending on my goals.

So for me that is 'nuff said.

Now for what I am writing about:

I have been hearing a great deal about those of you who are out of work
and have been for some time now.

I have been in business on several occasions and when I needed work I
advertised. Now I don't recommend that you individually advertise but
consider this:

what if we 'Advertised the Linux desktop' to the general public? We
have a list of people who are willing to help those who need it; some
for a fee and others at no charge. Microsoft isn't sitting on their
laurels and waiting for people to 'discover' their new XBox, the are
advertising like crazy.

How many people even know about Linux as an alternative to MS? I would
guess less than 2% of the population in general. How many people know
about MS and their desktop? Nearly everyone alive.

Now, the issue here is to educate the public about Linux and we can all
be very busy. How do we do that? Advertise, that's how. We may even
be able to get grant money, I don't know, but I am sure that if we try
we will succeed. And when we are busy we will be less devisive.

We need to be finding ways to work together and not apart. Division
helps MS, they love it. If they could they would start a dozen new
linux distros each year just to confuse the issue.

Maybe this LUG could appoint a committee to consider ways to inform the
public and look for money to do just that. That at least would be
constructive.

Michael C. Rock