Re: [SLUG] A new idea?

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 23:09:30 EST

> What I've read about it, before it was being delivered, was
>
> that it was a UNIX based OS that operated winblows programs.
> (I assumed it booted directly into a wine substitute.)
> Is it a real version of LINUX that contains C++ so real LINUX
> programs can be compiled etc.? (from someone that tried it please)

>From my experience with it (both 2.0 and 3.0 versions) its a spruced up and
repackaged version of Debian. It does not come with CrossOver Office like it
was originally supposed to so the capability of running Windows programs was way
overshot. Lindows' whole big sell to the public is its "Click-N-Run" warehouse
which makes getting packages "so easy." Now since this is debian based, they
are basically selling apt-get scripts that connect to their repositories and
download the standard applications that you would expect to already be available
when you buy a distrobutions (RedHat, Mandrake, etc). You can just as easily go
to a command prompt after installation and get the source (apt-get source) and
then its a full function Debian distro after all the updates. Its a repackaged
distro with a lot of fluff. Although I am hoping it makes some people less
intimidated by Linux but I think Xandros would be a much better choice,
especially if you are paying for it.

Pace