Re: [SLUG] Quicktime for DVD Viewing in Linux

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 14:27:49 EST

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 11:00:31AM -0800, sanity wrote:
> --- Mikes work account <mrock@stewartsigns.com> wrote:
> > I have successfully used Xine but it does not support all Codecs. And
> > locating and downloading additional Codecs and then getting them to
> > work is not a piece of cake.
>
> Codecs? For playing DVD's? As far as I know, any store-bought DVD should
> work perfectly in a Linux system. DeCSS is for copying DVD's that conform the
> the DVD consortium standards, not playing them. Or, educate me otherwise?

DVDs are MPEG2. After you decode the CSS'ed VOB file from the UDF filesystem,
it's simply MPEG2 video. Xine et. al. tend to use libcss to decrypt DVD
media these days.

The CODECs Mike is mentioning are for other media types, primarily
Microsoft and third party CODECs. This is for .avi, .asx, ... - not for DVDs.
I've managed to put together a rather healthy /usr/lib/win32 directory of
CODECs for avifile (which Xine uses). And with quicktime support now
native, most everything plays just fine now.

mplayer is a bit more flexible but arcane, and I've fiddled with ogle
briefly, but Xine is still by far my favorite. (Note: I don't watch many DVDs
using Xine ;)

- Ian