RE: [SLUG] Quicktime for DVD Viewing in Linux

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 14:53:14 EST

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 14:00, sanity wrote:
> Codecs? For playing DVD's? As far as I know, any store-bought DVD should
> work perfectly in a Linux system. DeCSS is for copying DVD's that conform the
> the DVD consortium standards, not playing them. Or, educate me otherwise?

Most commercial DVDs are encrypted with the CSS encryption system. In
order to play them, you have to be able to decrypt the CSS cipher. All
hardware DVD players have a decryption key. Software packages in Windows
like WinDVD also have a decryption key built into the software.
In the open source world, we have variations of DeCSS like libdvdcss to
decrypt DVDs.
http://www.lemuria.org/DeCSS/decss.html
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/hannum-pal.html
http://www.videolan.org/libdvdcss/
--

Matt Miller
Systems Administrator

-- An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly.