Re: [SLUG] Quicktime for DVD Viewing in Linux

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 18:00:50 EST

I've experimented with several Linux video/DVD players, and MPlayer ( http://www.mplayerhq.hu )is far and away my favorite. There's a huge group of contributors to it (about 80 patches submitted just today), it will run with a GUI or at a command line, it is highly flexible, and it is highly optimized on x86 hardware (FAST)! I was able to watch DVDs without much problem on my pentium pro system (200 MHz, 32M RAM, relatively unaccelerated video card). I work and play a lot with different types of video, and MPlayer is one of my favorite tools. You can find a fairly recent review of different Linux DVD player software at http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/568/

Levi