RE: [SLUG] Quicktime for DVD Viewing in Linux

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 09:25:07 EST

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 01:38, Justin wrote:
> That link mentions that DeCSS is used for ripping--not playing--as I
> said originally. I didn't check the other links you gave me.

Shoot, I could be wrong; but if I am, it is because I was misinformed
all along.

Check out the last two lines of the following article:
http://www.cnn.com/1999/TECH/ptech/12/28/dvd.crack/

"Every DVD disk has about 400 keys on it to make the disk readable to
all of the various DVD players on the market. The players also contain
keys, which are licensed and encrypted in their hardware or software
playback systems.

But apparently one program, the XingDVD Player, from RealNetworks Inc.
subsidiary Xing Technologies, didn't have its keys adequately protected.
The Norwegian group reportedly cracked the player code while trying to
reverse-engineer a software DVD player in order to create one compatible
with the Linux operating system. There is currently no Linux-compatible
software DVD player. The group then released the DeCSS program, which
will automatically break the encryption code."

And check out the line below here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/09/tech/main532369.shtml

"Johansen has said he was sent the security codes from outside Norway by
other members of a hacker network, and that he only combined them into a
program so he could watch DVDs on his Linux-based computer, which lacked
such software."

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly.