[SLUG] Just a thought.. or two..

From: Mark Banschbach (mrbear37@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 10:55:43 EST

  First, before I go off on my own little thought
process, I want to thank all the administrative staff
of SLUG and especially Paul and Ed for the roles that
they have played and continue to play in getting all
the crap done. As one priest I know used to say "
There are some that must endure the crucifixion so
that others may enjoy the resurection". Having served
in a number of social organizations I can tell you
from personal experience that being in a position to
try to keep the masses happy and listening to every
little nit - picking piece of crap that comes along..
and keeping a civil tongue in ones head is not the
easiest job in the world..every one of the members has
an opinion and they all want answers to their
questions or nearly immediate responses to their
particular desires or needs.

  Last year I was visiting family in Texas and decided
that I would contact the local LUG group there to get
a feel for what was going on down there and get a
picture of the market there as well. Their LUG
consisted of a total of 5 people.. thats it. I
immediately became VERY thankful for ALL OF YOU ! We
are so lucky that we have so many people to ask
questions of and bounce ideas off of. We are
fortunate to have a number of extremely knowledgeable
people that we can tap into to get help when we need
it.

   Here comes the few thoughts.. ( Thought I wouuld
give you a nice warning there so you have time to
hide).

    There are a ton of folks here who have volunteered
to offer their services to assist others. As Paul and
others so correctly pointed out, not everyone is quick
to respond to questions put to them in things of
import. Here is a thought. Since I have heard plenty
from a number of people about what they feel is wrong
with the group. Lets try a few solutions. One of my
personal mantras I have tried to maintain is not to
complain if I can not provide a possible solution that
stays on the positive side..

  In this case.. I am not compaining.. just offering a
suggestion. Possibly it may be time to attempt to
review what the populous is in need of. The method by
which this can be accomplished might include a number
of methods.. which might include a web page that might
be accessed and allow people to enter selections about
what they would like to see, formats ,
information,education, or what ever comes to mind. In
this way people who are more passionate about their
desires can respond and people who don't care can opt
to not answer and go on their merry ways.

   I belong to the local PERL mongers group and we had
this type of web page up for a period of a month.
This information was taken in and parsed into
quantifiable areas and changes were made accordingly.
Make it a positive thing.

   As a closing to this post, please accept a
heartfelt "thank you" to everyone in SLUG for all you
have provided to me personally. I appreciate the fact
that you all are there.

Mark