Re: [SLUG] Quicktime for DVD Viewing in Linux

From: Justin (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 14:28:08 EST

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 12:19, Levi Bard wrote:
> > 3. DeCSS allows copying of DVDs to be viewed in _retail_ players--not
> > just Linux.
> False - this is the reason that so many open-source advocates hate the DMCA; it
> would attempt to prevent open-source applications from being
> able to play a legally purchased DVD using a legally purchased DVD drive.

?? DeCSS is not the DMCA.

> > Bottom line: this so-called "encryption" is _player-side_, not
> > media-side. The only thing stopping an "encrypted" DVD from playing is
> > the DVD player telling itself not to do so--and open source has no
> > reason to do so; it has no affiliation with the DVD consortium.
> >
> > ?? to do what? To play copied Cd's? That's illegal, it doesn't have
> > that. No "decryption" is required to play an originally pressed DVD!
> > The "encryption" (which is phony) is only to prevent _copying_.
> >

> This is all incorrect - DVDs are encrypted at the medium level, otherwise
> there would be no difference between encrypted an nonencrypted DVDs.

Again. The "encryption" is nothing but reserved spaces on the DVD that
the DVD player looks for. The encryption is player-side logic. It's
like the v-chip: the TV is preventing itself from watching certain
channels, not the signal.

> Applications that wish to play DVDs have to decrypt them,

Read the detailed thread found by searching "DVD organization" at
www.leap-cf.org list archives.

> which means either having keys like hardware DVD players,
> youwhich the MPAA will NEVER grant to an open-source application

But you just _agreed_ that Linux will play normal DVDs.

> Every Linux DVD player of which I know either uses libdecss,
> libdvdcss, or an internal routine to read the keys from the DVD and

Those are for reading DVDs that were copied without acknowledging the
reserved areas. Copied.

--
Justin Keyes
m9u35@yahoo.com

Democracy gives the aura of legitimacy to acts that would otherwise be considered tyranny. --Walter Williams