Re: [SLUG] re: A new idea?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 21:39:35 EST

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 08:07:32AM -0500, Mikes work account wrote:

> What John wrote:
>
> Michael, this seems like very good thinking to me. Would it be
> acceptable on this list to toss out a couple of ideas, for whatever
> they're worth?
>
> 1. Can the libraries be used for public informational meetings? For
> example, the St. Pete SLUG meetings start at 7pm--what if the library
> were to promote a public info session(s), 1 hour earlier. One of the
> gurus who would be at the meeting later anyways, could do show 'n tell.
>
> 2. Is it possible that Walmart might want to help in some way, in
> spreading the word, or supporting public information efforts by SLUG?
> They've made a major bet on Linux, so if you were looking for some help
> with advertising or such,...who knows?
> Seems like somebody that's trying to sell Linux boxes would want to have
> access to a list of Linux helpers.
>
> That's what came to my mind, anyway. I'm sure other folks will be more
> creative.

There are any number of good ideas like this out there. What they lack
is someone to actually _do_ them. I'm better at managing than promoting,
which is why at one point we had a young fellow whose job it was to
promote SLUG. He moved away, and since then, no one has done it. We
don't necessarily need someone to be our PR person (unless you just want
the job), but if you have a promotional idea and enough time/guts to
carry it out, that would be _really_ helpful.

Paul