Re: [SLUG] re: A new idea?

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 06:59:59 EST

> It has sounded, on the SLUG list, as if there are people
> unemployed, and underemployed, and also people who have a real
> taste for startups. Any chance that they might want to meet
> from time to time for bull sessions, and/or have a mail list for
> discussions?

Something, perhaps, like the New York Free Software Chamber of Commerce,
which started as a LUG offshoot? http://www.nylxs.com/fscommerce/

I don't know how effective this group is. I keep meaning to write about
them and keep getting sidetracked, but it seems they're trying to do
some of what you're talking about.

> One thing I often wonder about: if one or more
> Linux guys wasn't working, is there any way that they could make
> some extra money by offered scheduled classes?

The "computer training" field is crowded and competitive... be careful
about this one.

> As for me, bottom line, if you want somebody to put in a few
> hours helping out, I can do that. Participate on a promotion
> committee, I can do that.

The simplest and most basic grassroots way to bring new people to Linux
is with "Introduction to Linux" meetings that are also installfests.

These events live or die by promotion, and the promotion isn't hard,
just tedious.

It's a matter of emailing/faxing notices to local media large and small,
plus asking general-purpose computer groups, ham radio groups, etc. to
post notices on their email lists.

The "intro" meetings themselves need to be held in locations that have
electricity for a number of computers, and you need to have one speaker
who can demo Linux plus a few people who can help with installs. (The
talking and teching skills are NOT the same. For example, I'm about as
good as you get on the talking evangelism and desktop demo front, but
lousy at install help -- and I know plenty of people whose skills are
exactly the opposite.)

Knoppix is your friend, here. :)

Another thought on the "speakers bureau" front: business organizations,
like Chambers of Commerce. They are almost all hungry for speakers. And
the great thing about presentations made to business groups is that they
eventually lead to expanding the pool of Linux jobs and/or consulting
opportunities -- and not necessarily for the speaker.

- Robin