Re: [SLUG] re: A new idea?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 22:48:58 EST

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 06:59:59AM -0500, robin wrote:

<snip>

> The simplest and most basic grassroots way to bring new people to Linux
> is with "Introduction to Linux" meetings that are also installfests.
>
> These events live or die by promotion, and the promotion isn't hard,
> just tedious.
>
> It's a matter of emailing/faxing notices to local media large and small,
> plus asking general-purpose computer groups, ham radio groups, etc. to
> post notices on their email lists.
>
> The "intro" meetings themselves need to be held in locations that have
> electricity for a number of computers, and you need to have one speaker
> who can demo Linux plus a few people who can help with installs. (The
> talking and teching skills are NOT the same. For example, I'm about as
> good as you get on the talking evangelism and desktop demo front, but
> lousy at install help -- and I know plenty of people whose skills are
> exactly the opposite.)

This was sort of the original intent behind SLUG meetings. We wanted
them to be newbie friendly, and we always encouraged people to bring in
their boxes. We could graft an "intro" section onto them, but it would
require someone who is willing to do that. And Robin's right-- promotion
is the key. Again, newbies are welcome at SLUG meetings.

Paul