Re: [SLUG] re: A new idea?

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 00:29:03 EST

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 22:42:59 -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:

-> It kinda sounds like you thought I was running down Michael's
ideas.

No, not at all! Just wanted to make sure we were on the same
page.

-> My point was that they'll never
-> go anywhere unless someone steps up to actually do them.

In recent years I've spent considerable time as a volunteer and
board member for a volunteer group (non-geek in nature) and
NOBODY knows better than I how difficult it is to get people to
step up to the plate. We are DEFINITELY on the same page here!

-> I'd love to have such a group. There are three problems, as I
see it. 1)
-> A lot of people have terrible stage fright. They don't do
well as
-> speakers because they're so nervous. 2) A lot of guys who
have guru
-> level knowledge simply can't express things in terms any
simpler than
-> integral calculus. 3) A lot of guys who can speak well don't
know beans
-> about Linux.

I understand completely.

-> Robin mentions the training angle in a later email on this
thread, and
-> suggests caution. He's been around much longer than I have,
and I
-> suspect he's right.

I'm sure he's right. But a) "caution" doesn't mean "don't do
it", and b) I think he was talking in the context of a genuine
business model, and I'm not.

For an example of this latter point, when a library promotes a
10-week creative writing course which is conducted by a
published writer, I do believe (correct me if I'm wrong), that
the teacher DOES get paid, and yet the library takes care of all
the business overhead (promoting the course, collecting fees,
providing a venue...) And, again, I'm not suggesting that a
Linux guy could make a living at it. I was just wondering if a
guy that was out of work might pick up a few dollars, meet
people who need Linux help, etc, and "spread the word" at the
same time. Win/win. I've only met a few people in SLUG, so I'm
just speculating without much background knowledge.

John