Re: [SLUG] re: A new idea?

From: Rene Peralta (renegade_salmon@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 10:49:01 EST

I've been messing around with linux now for several
years. Since Mandrake 8.0 I've been using it
exclusively and haven't had a windows box at all,
INSPITE of the fact that I'm (used to be?) an avid
gamer. My experiece with LUGs (SLUG seems to fit this
mold as well) is that they are STILL geared towards
people who are not common users, but system admins or
aspiring system admins, people who are trying to set
up servers, back ends to some enterprise, etc. What I
would call "normal users", people who are interested
in doing things using linux get little help, or rather
get well intentioned but besides the point help.
Everything I know to do in linux I have learned by
myself and after all this time, it is still not enough
to use it effectively.
I was first drawn to linux because it came with free
databases, the GIMP and a myriad other aplications
which I could use to build websites and which I could
never afford in the M$ world. In addition,
politically I'm 100% against the chokehold that M$,
Disney and others want to excercise on freedom and
true inovation. Linux is crucial to thousands would
be game developers, publishers, artists, web
broadcasters, political activists and many others who
would be barred from these endeavors if the
monopolists get their way.
These people need to be included in the community's
efforts and their needs examined and met, if linux is
to fulfill it's potential as both a tool for
democratic and economic opportunity.
I don't know what the answer is, perhaps LUGs should
start dividing themselves into two sections. Meetings
for the so called "geeks" and meetings for those who
are more interested in exploring what is available in
OSS to solve their problems and meet their needs.
Perhaps LUGs should have a sub group for those who are
interested in starting small businesses or advocacy
groups. I guarantee you that there are thousands of
people out there with skills in business, marketing,
graphics arts, programming, webmastering, gamming,
etc. who have seen the potential in linux and would
love to use it as a vehicle to launch enterprises,
projects and even small revolutions, but who just
can't figure out how to work with the community.

Rene